SIMS interpretation of the Not a Boarder field has resulted in some leavers not being included in the Census. Unless the school has specifically entered 'Not a Boarder' in the Boarder Status field, any leavers who were only assigned 'X' and/or 'Y' attendance codes for the whole of the Summer term will not be included in this census return unless they have an exclusion or learning aims to report.
Details of this issue
This bug will not affect all schools only where this specific criteria is in place - Pupils with date of birth between 01/09/2003 and 31/08/2015 (inclusive) who left the school between 01/01/2020 and 31/07/2020 (inclusive) and were not a boarder on the date they left (had a blank boarder status) and only had X or Y attendance codes for the whole of the summer term.
Schools can deal with this issue by entering the Boarder status of 'Not a Boarder' on the leavers records. We recognise that this is only a viable solution where there are very few leavers in this position:
- Taking out the pupils Leaving Details - removing the Date of Leaving and saving the pupil record
- Putting in a 'Not a Boarder' status on the leavers in Panel 2 (Registration) then clicking the history button and editing the history by clicking on Day on Boarder Status and clicking on Not a Boarder and putting the start date back to their date of admission.
- If you want any help with this please call us.
- Or we can run Consolidated Database Patch 2 to resolve this if you have a lot of pupils affected.
CAPITA have produced Consolidated Database Patch 2 to include a complete fix to the issue via modify the census application to accept a blank Boarder Status field as indicating 'Not a Boarder'.
Does this affect my school?
Schools can check their data by downloading the attached report definition and import this by going to Reports > Import and then you can run the two reports by going to Reports > Run Report and in the Student Folder will be the two reports:
- 1a Leavers Boarder Should be in Return - this will give you a list of all leavers the return is expected to include
- 1a Leavers Boarder Actually Return - if you select the return description to run this, it will show you the actual leavers that are included in the return
If you compare these two reports and there is a difference then you can either put the Boarder Status on the leavers that need to be in the return by removing their leaving details, adding the boarder status and re-entering the leaving details, or email us to have the patch applied.
Re-submitting the Census
- If you have not already authorised the return once you have amended the leavers or the patch has been applied then re-run the create and validate return and continue with authorising your return as normal.
- If you have already authorised the return then once you have entered the boarder status or had the patch applied, then create a copy of your authorised return by highlighting the return and clicking the copy button, run create and validate on the new return and then authorise and submit this new return to COLLECT.
If you want the patch applied please email email@example.com
You will then need to re-run and re-upload your return to COLLECT if you have already submitted your return.