The School Census Autumn 2020 Return will be Thursday 1st October, with a return date of Wednesday 28th October 2020.
Please find below copies of our slideshows that made up our Autumn 2020 Census Workshops, they give an overview as to what is new/changed within this Autumn 2020 Census return as well as the process of running the return. The Post-16 presentation gives details of what is new/changed within the 16-19 Census and how to complete that side of the return along with a preparation checklist you can use to make sure all areas of the Post-16 Census are completed.
- Keystone Presentation - School Census Autumn 2020
- Keystone Presentation - Post-16 School Census Autumn 2020
- Keystone Autumn Census 2020 Post-16 Preparation List
These are the Census Handbooks which contain detailed guidance on producing your return, please download the one that relates to your school phase.
- School Census Autumn 2020 Handbook - Nursery
- School Census Autumn 2020 Handbook - Primary
- School Census Autumn 2020 Handbook - Special
- School Census Autumn 2020 Handbook - PRU
- School Census Autumn 2020 Handbook - Secondary
- School Census Autumn 2020 Handbook - All Through
Preparing Post-16 Data Handbook
Below is the latest fileset (1605) from the DfE.
If you are on 1602 or above you can go ahead and create and authorise your census return.
We will import at least 1602 onto all schools but should you want to do a dry-run before we have had a chance to complete this you can download the below fileset unzip the file and in SIMS go to Tools > Setups > Import Fileset and click on the yellow folder and point it to the file you have unzipped and click Import Fileset. You can check the fileset number you are currently using when you go to Routines > Statutory Returns > School Census.
School Census Validations and Resolutions
CAPITA have produced a School Census Validation and Resolution Excel Spreadsheet that allows you to type in an Error or Query code from the Census and get an overview of a fix for that error/query. The file also contains a PDF version.
Acceptable Notepad Entries
Please find below the acceptable notepad entries file for adding notes to your errors and queries in COLLECT.
Attendance Codes for Academic Year 2020/2021
Please note from the start of the Autumn term 2020 pupil attendance will be mandatory and the usual rules on attendance will apply, including:
- parents’ duty to ensure that their child of compulsory school age attends regularly at the school where the child is a registered pupil
- schools’ responsibilities to record attendance and follow up absence
- the ability to issue sanctions, including fixed penalty notices, in line with local authorities’ codes of conduct
From the beginning of the new academic year, schools should return to using the attendance and absence codes in use before the outbreak (set out on page 9 of the attendance guidance), in addition to the new category of ‘not attending in circumstances related to coronavirus (COVID-19)’:
- pupils not attending a session who meet the criteria for ‘not attending in circumstances related to coronavirus (COVID-19)’ should be recorded using code X4
- schools should continue to use code X for non-compulsory school aged pupils who are not expected to attend a session, as they did before the outbreak
Whilst the DfE are not collecting attendance data in the Autumn 2020 return this may become an issue in the Spring 2021 Census if you are still using the 7,8,9 or Y codes to record Covid related attendance.
There is a patch to remove the 7,8,9 codes we are not applying this to all schools as you may still need to use these in case of any future lockdown however if you do wish to have this patch applied please get in touch with us.
We have placed all the attendance information on our Support Site for Covid-19 Attendance:
School Census Known Issues
Below please find links to our other knowledge base articles that describe known issues with the census
- Error 2905 - Issue when Planned End Date written to return file
- Query 1601 - Problem with DfE validation rule
- Secondary School Implicit Conversion Error when calculating return
- Prior Attainment Calculation Issue using English Result as Maths Result
Finally please contact us for any questions/issues with the return or you just want someone to run through it with you. Please ring 01482 238700 or email email@example.com or use our Live Chat on http://www.keystonemis.co.uk